Business Organics Rules
Beginning July 19, 2016, certain New York City businesses will be required by law to separate their organic waste. If your business meets the minimum requirements outlined below, you must comply with the business organics rules.
Establishments covered by Business Organics Rules
- All food service establishments in hotels with 150 or more rooms
- All food service vendors in arenas and stadiums with seating capacity of at least 15,000 people
- Food manufacturers with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
- Food wholesalers with a floor area of at least 20,000 square feet
Business Resources: materials and trainings offered by DSNY.
Learn more about hiring a private carter.
Self-Transport: Businesses choosing to haul their own source-separated organics must register with the NYC Business Integrity Commission (BIC).
On-Site Processing: Businesses covered by these rules that choose to process organic on-site must register with DSNY within 30 days of installing on-site processing equipment.
Crown Container Organic Recycling
Recycling your food and other organic waste is a fresh idea that can produce both economic and environmental savings. This naturally efficient, budget-friendly disposal alternative from Waste Management can benefit your company, your community and the environment.
Waste Management’s Food and Organic Waste Recycling helps you:
- Raise your recycling rates
- Increase diversion rates
- Choose a cost-effective disposal option
- Foster a green image among your employees and customers
Success Made Simple.
Starting with an initial site visit, our experts will work with your staff to ensure step-by-step program success. We provide the necessary infrastructure, including specifically designed Waste Management containers and trucks, as well as the training and support necessary to ensure a successful program. We then transport your food and other organic materials to a special facility where it will be turned into compost, other soil amendments, energy or other valued products.
Acceptable items for Food & Organic Waste Recycling can include:
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Bakery Items and Ingredients
- Eggs and Paper Egg Cartons
- Plants, Cut Flowers, Potting Soil
- Coffee Grounds, Filters, Tea Bags
- Paper Products (Napkins, Paper Towels)
- Ice Cream, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese
Click Here if you need more information about Organic Recycling.